Re: Seat Bolts

To: FRITZWICH@aol.com
Subject: Re: Seat Bolts
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 20:22:58 -0700
FRITZWICH@aol.com wrote:

> Patrick, T&A Listers...
> Here's a Whizzz-Tip I picked several years ago for replacing the seat
> retainer bolts in our cars.  I don't remember where the tip originated  but
> it had something to do with the quick removal of aircraft seats.
> Go down to your local hardware store and find the Clevis Pin Department.  Buy
> 4 of the appropriate length and diameter to fit (I have the measurements but
> I'm not near my cars now). The clevis pin has several holes along its shank
> and a flat head on one end like a nail.  I attached a split key ring in the
> hole nearest the flat head to make a "pull".  Push the clevis pin through the
> floor frame base and the hole on the seat frame.  Insert a hitch pin through
> one of the holes on the clevis pin to secure it in place.
> When the seats need to be removed.  Pull the hitch pins, then the clevis
> pins.  The next think you know is your seat is out of the car.  Works like a
> charm.
> Happy 4th from WhizzzBANG Motors
> ...Rich

The actual aircraft quick-release pins I used come with a pull ring attached to
a end piece with a button in the center.  Depressing the button retracts two
ball detents at the other end.  You simply depress the button and stick the pin
thru the seats and brackets.  When it comes out the other side, let go of the
button.  The balls come out and prevent removal.  Pull on the ring, with the end
button depressed (one hand operation) and pull it out.  Do same to other side
and the seat is out.  These are cheap aircraft surplus, and dear at your boat
store, but really do a fine one-hand operation.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/