Re: CA Law on Front License Plate

To: ai373@lafn.org (Andy Mars), Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CA Law on Front License Plate
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 17:33:03 -0700
Andy,

This is deja vu all over again. But I think the last time around I don't
think we completely resolve it. If you do have to have a front license
plate, then it must be that any old plate will do. Take, for example, all
those GM cars driving around with "Hearbeat of America" for a front
license. Maybe this cop is a Chevy man. ;-(

But the best place to start with this question is the California State
Vehicle Code. Go to

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_table_of_contents.html

for any questions in this regard. In particular, vehicle code section #5200
states:

5200. When two license plates are issued by the department for a vehicle,
they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in
the front and the other in the rear. When one license plate is issued for
use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof.

Now I wouldn't want to be accused of practicing law without a license, but
the key here seems to be that if they give you two, you have to display
two, classic or not. So, be a nice boy and put your front plate on to
satisfy the letter of the law. Maybe attache the plate with wing nuts so
it's easily removed. BTW Andy, I've been driving my Tiger for about
twenty-five years now without a front plate and the CHP has never said a
word about it. They've mentioned a few other things now and then, but never
the (absent) front license plate.

Well, TTFN

Bob

At 03:29 PM 7/9/99 -0700, Andy Mars wrote:

>Anyone familiar with California law regarding front license plates on
>classic vehicles?  I had thought that they were exempt from this
>requirement - -
>
>but, I received a ticket for this the other day!  I have ten days to
>provide proof of correction, and then get to pay a reduced fee.
>
>I'd like to clarify if there is such an exception, and I was
>falsely ticketed.
>
>Otherwise, I have to figure out how and where to put on my front plate.
>
>Any help on the legal matter, as well as front plate install suggestions,
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Take care (and spread it around).
>
>                         Peace,
>                                 Andy