Re: Front Plate - Input & Innuendo

To: ai373@lafn.org (Andy Mars), tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Plate - Input & Innuendo
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:13:44 -0700
Andy,

We all realize that getting a nuisance ticket like this can be more than a
little irritating, so we can well understand your response to what was only
an attempt at humor by Scott and me. I'm pretty sure everyone else on the
List understood it that way as well. If not, let me assure you and everyone
else, it was only tongue-in-cheek. But thanks for giving us the
circumstances regarding your ticket, because there are a lot of us without
front plates that would like to know how much risk we're running and what
we could do to avoid the problem you had; e.g., don't park on the street in
Santa Monica. I would speculate that what we have here is a case of a
rookie cop just trying too hard. As for the principle involved, I couldn't
agree more. Given free rein, cops will invariably abuse their power. Just
be thankful a bunch of DEA officers didn't kick you door down because some
scum bag drug pusher gave them your address so he could walk. Or
confiscated you car without due process because they searched it without
probably cause and found something they didn't think you should have.

As for what you should do, I like Mike's idea; pay the $25 and hope it
never happens again.

Hope you have a great day,

Bob

At 08:11 AM 7/11/99 -0700, Andy Mars wrote:

>Thank you to all those who provided input into the front license plate
>situation.
>
>No thanks to all those with their innuendos about me must having flipped
>the cop the bird or something.

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)