Re: Air Dam

To: robhogan@freewwweb.com
Subject: Re: Air Dam
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:02:44 -0700
Robert Hogan wrote:

> Several years ago, while foraging for disposable drip pans (i.e. large
> cardboard boxes), I found a 1/4" x 12" x 10 ft. strip of tranclucent
> polypropylene flapper door material that had been discarded from a
> furniture retailer.  The cut, formed and painted plastic strip made an
> excellently deformable air dam as it held shape under aerodynamic
> the supporting structure.

Robert,

You just reminded me that I have a twenty foot roll of vinyl in the garage I
bought for very little from Home Depot.  It was meant for a garage door bottom
seal, and is about 4" deep, and very flexible.

A 1 inch light aluminum angle bracket from the same source could the attached to
the bottom of the front cross member, just under the radiator, and the vinyl can
be attached to it.  Design completed.

Technical Specifications:

1) Length of angle not to exced space available.

2) Distance back not to interfere with moving parts.

3.1)Attachment of angle to crossmember by sheet metal screws, size 10, with
washers, to the cross member.

3.2) Alternate method - use aluminum Riv-nuts, same size machine screw thread,
so
it can be bolted on and off easier.

4.1) Attach vinyl garage door bottom seal to the aluminum angle with 3/16 or
larger aluminum pop rivets.  Use aluminum pop-rivet washers under the head
(vinyl
side) to spread the load.

4.2) Alternate method, use strip of 0.030 aluminum strip same source) and
"sandwich" the vinyl between the strip and the angle.

5) Designer's Fee: - Report back on design chosen, lengths used, parts cost and
quantities, and effectiveness.

Cheap enough?

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/