Re: Cross member installation

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Re: Cross member installation
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:46:22 EDT
There is one trick about putting the cross member back on.
Its that you don't realize it but the weight of the engine will
spread the arms of the frame rail just enough so that only
3 of the 4 mounting bolts line up.  Try as you may the 4th
is about 1/16 off.  The trick is to use a jack and lift the engine
slightly (I mean just enough to take the weight off the frame).
The arms of the frame rail will move back and you can get the
4th bolt in without crossthreading.  Piece of cake.  Tighten
the bolt to torgue specs then lower the jack.

I left the wheels on my cross member and jacked the car
high enough to clear the wheels.  Put the jack stands under
the frame near the door A posts.

If your upper A-arms won't clear the inner wheels well, then
this means you shock towers have definitely sagged in and
its time for the STOA tech tip about pushing the shock towers
back into position.

Use only good quality bolts, grade 8 or better (No the Dorman
junk).  I recommend Caterpillar bolts.  Great stuff.

Good luck.

Dave Johnson