Re: BODY WORK

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <daniel@htg.net>
Subject: Re: BODY WORK
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:13:15 -0400
At 10:51 AM 7/23/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Ok everyone, I have never done this before and need lots of advice. I am
>getting the Tiger ready for a new paint job. The person doing it said I
>should strip all the trim off to save myself some $$$$. I need to replace
>the windscreen at the same time so I want to remove the windshield frame
>too. Where should I start? and is there an order I should follow that would
>make this project easier? What should I be prepared for and are there any
>special tools I might need? Are there any questions I should be asking that
>I am not thinking about due to my ignorance on the subject? I have a LAT
>hood on the way and will wait till it is here before having the paint done.
>Have about three weeks to get the car ready. Thanks now to those who
>respond.
>Dan Eiland
>daniel@htg.net
>B382002652LRXFE

Dan,
        Open both doors wide and block then so they they don't
slam closed. There are 1 or two studs attached to the windshied
frame that extend through tubes. You must have the doors open
to see the studs and nuts from under the dash. Nuts and washers
secure the studs.  A deep socket 1/2" or 9/16" ( can't remember)
and a 3/8" ratchet will be needed.
There is also a single smaller stud ( 7/16" nut I think) in the
 center of the bottom of the windshield.  This is difficult to
see and hard to get to, but it can be done.  After you remove
 the center nut and the 1 or two nuts on each side the only thing
 holding the windshield frame is dirt, old glue/rubber and gravity.
The rubber piece under the windshield frame may be old and brittle.
You may consider replacing this piece.
 While you have the windshield off, replace your vinel dash.
Peal off the old brittle vinel and dusty foam.
Some foam and new vinel can be secured with contact cement.
 A vinel sheet will streach to fit with no problem.
Clean the area under the frint lip of the dash well or else the
glued vinel will come loose in a few days.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others