Re: Another set of Tiger vs Vette memories

To: "'Tigers'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another set of Tiger vs Vette memories
From: Bennett Cullen-P21988 <Cullen.Bennett@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:05:36 -0700
There was a current thread about rebuilding calipers. On the later model
corvettes with disk brakes on all four wheels there is a real problem for
first time pad replacement. Each wheel has four (yes, count them) four brake
pistons. On typically maintained cars with standard Dot-3 fluid and a humid
climate (read that as Texas) the brake fluid hydroscopically soaks up the
moisture and it gravitates to the lowest points in the system, the wheel
cylinders. The stock vette uses cast iron calipers and they WILL rust every
time. So, the first time you put new pads on the wheels and push the piston
and rubber seal back across that rusted and pitted cylinder wall, there goes
the rubber and a bad leak usually starts within a week. The only choices are
new calipers or take them to the local machine shop specializing in vette
caliper rebuilds and get them sleeved with stainless steel. A little silicon
fluid and your good as new and your check book is about $300-$400 lighter.
On the topic of Tiger steering under hard acceleration (especially with
positraction). As everyone knows who has a posi unit and has punched their
Tiger hard enough to break both tires loose while turning, they very quickly
observe the down side to the Ackermann "skuff" issue. You soon find that
there is only one tire on the ground that is firmly planted, and it soon
turns into the pivot point about which your little "Kitty" is spinning (sort
of like the preverbal "Latch on the Out-house Door" very similar to the
place for filling ones pants). The first time it happened to me, I did a 360
in the middle of an intersection and thankfully did not hit anyone or
anything in the process. It made a believer out of me. NO punches in the
corners.

Cullen Bennett
Tempe, Arizona USA