RE: English License Plates and Ebay

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: English License Plates and Ebay
From: "Douglas, Paul" <Paul.Douglas@gbr.Xerox.Com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:45:11 +0100
You've got the general idea of our license plates but the detail isn't quite
right.

A single letter suffix was introduced in 1963 with "A", 1964 was "B" etc. A
license plate (or "number plate" in British English) would be something like
KLM123B. In 1967 they decided to change the time of year that the letter
changed to August, not January, because there was such a peak in car sales
in January.
So the relevent years for Tigers are:
1963 - A
1964 - B
1965 - C
1966 - D
January - July 1967  - E
August 1967 - July 1968 - F etc.

This carried on until the end of the alphabet (missing out I, O, Q, U and
Z). Then there was a switch to a single letter prefix, starting at A, still
changing in August (eg A123KLM). The problem for the motor industry was that
this change in August caused a huge increase in sales in August. So this
year it's been altered again so the change is now in both March and
September. So
August 1996 - July 1997 - P
August 1997 - July 1998 - R
August 1998 - February 1999 - S