Re: Tail lenses

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Tail lenses
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:06:34 -0400
Steve is right on the money.  Another factor to look at that he did not
mention is if you go to a brake cylinder that has a larger volume due to
larger pistons or more pistons, i.e. 4 pistons vs 2 pistons in the stock
Tiger, this needs to be factored in to equation.

There are few books on the subject, but "Brakes" by Pogh, appears to be
the best at looking at ALL factors. The book goes into a lot of detail,
formulas, illustrations, and is well written my this mechanical
engineer, who has experience with brakes.

When I change my braking system, I read the book, talked to a lot of
people, who BTW, most of whom, did not understand or have suggestions
for major changes to a braking system.

In talking to racers, and some racing brakes supplier, not
manufacturers, and I came to the conclusion that there is the theory,
the practice, and finally, try the system you feel is right, and then
change it to fit your needs.

While this does not sound too analytical, I spent approximately 80
hours, on my system, reading, talking and then as described in the Brake
Book, it says to try it for your application.  You may be right on the
mark the first time, after going through this study in brakes.

As you learn more, there are so many variables, such as pads, tires,
type of driving/racing, just to name a few variables, that it is really
a learning experience.

My new system uses Fiat Rears, Lockheed Booster, Tandem Master Cylinder
w/ 7/8" diameter bore, remember larger volume needed, and 11" diameter
vented rotors, with Wilwood 4 piston front caliber's.  Using Porterfield
kevlar/carbon pads.

I am not putting a proportioning valve in as yet, but will be using new
3/16" hard brake lines, and ss flex lines at all four corners.  The new
system is lighter, with 4.5 lbs/wheel in front, and though I did not
measure rears, should be 1-3 lbs/wheel lighter in rear, over stock.

Dave Bean Engineering in CA was the most helpful, on the MC with this
system.  Wilwood, Baer, Coleman, Speedway, and other manufacturers are
of very limited help.    Most supplier and manufacturers are not
equipped to do this kind of engineering, or don't want to because of the
liability.

To have a system engineered will cost approximately $4k starting price,
I checks several, from racing firms, and they to will experiment before
coming up with your final system, which will cost more as they learn
your car and its intended application.

Sounds like a lot of work.  Well it is.  Makes you appreciate car
companies who do all of this work for you when you buy a car.  They
spends Lots of Money doing this for their cars.

Should you do it, Yes if you want better brakes.  The Tiger is a neat
car, which can easily be upgraded in HP, but you also have to stop,
eventually.  Brakes, brake pads, tires, and of course suspension is the
formula for this portion of the equation.

Good luck with your new system.

Larry