Re: Fwd: FW: Pumped Up Compression Test

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: FW: Pumped Up Compression Test
From: Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:53:16 -0700
Bob,

That sounds like a lot of work. I've been using a leak-down style tester that is
only a little more cumbersome to use. The major effort to use it is to ensure
that
the cylinder under test is at TDC-compression. I detected a very bad leak in two
exhaust valves before I noticed any performance degradation. The gauge uses
compressed air. (I use 80 psi since that is what airplanes use and I am familiar
with the numbers.) The cylinder is pressurized through a small orifice. There
are
two gauges on the unit, one reads applied pressure and the other reads the
pressure
in the cylinder. The difference is lost due to flow through the orifice caused
by
the cylinder leaking. If the cylinder is perfect, the pressure is the same on
both
gauges. On aircraft anything above 70 is considered very good, 60-70 is OK, and
less than 60 is suspect. My two bad cylinders read 5, yet it still ran OK,
although
it wouldn't for long. Another advantage is that you can listen in the intake,
exhaust or engine breather to determine what is leaking.

Craig