Re: Dash removal

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <daniel@htg.net>
Subject: Re: Dash removal
From: steve sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 15:54:07 -0700
> Now how do I get the controls
> for the heater off the dash. I can't seem to figure out how those two little
> black handles are removed in order to slide the control out of the dash.
> Dan Eiland

Dan:
I've done this a couple of times. If I recall correctly, the black plastic
heater control knobs or "handles" are held on by a small "tab" on the bottom of
the end of the heater control levers. Look underneath the knobs and you'll see
(if you have good eyes!) the tab through a hole in the knob. When you install
the knobs, you kind of wiggle them into place over those tabs so removal is the
reverse. Just use a small tool of whatever type to press into that hole and,
pulling on the knob, carefully press outward (or whatever works) on the knob
from the inside and you should be able to slip it over that tab and off. Take
some care as to exert force gradually as the levers themselves are made of a
soft "Pot" metal and the ends can break off if too much leverage is applied. I
know this from unfortunate experience. Fortunately, new levers are available, if
needed, from the usual suppliers.

Good luck.
Steve Sage