Front Hub End Float

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Front Hub End Float
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 20:11:49 -0700
Larry,

I don't know what other responses you have gotten to your question about
the front hub end float, but I will give you my two cents worth. When
installing new bearings, my experience has been that after a few miles (or
few hundred), they will loosen up some and need re-tightening. This is
especially true if the bearings haven't been installed using a press or for
any reason have not been completely seated (and maybe even if they are). I
have used various greases, sodium based, lithium based, synthetic,
molybdenum, etc. My current favorite is Lubriko synthetic LC#2 High
Temperature because when things get hot under heavy braking it stays put
better than other greases I've tried. Probably most any synthetic will work
pretty well though. BTW, I also put O-rings over the bearing cap, between
the bearing cap and hub, to keep the hot grease from running out.

As far as measuring end float, this is a very time consuming procedure and,
personally, I don't think it's really necessary. I do follow the
instructions to torque the axle bolt to 15-20 lb-ft while rotating the
wheel. Then, back off at least 1/12 to 1/6 of a turn. Mount the wheel, then
grab it top and bottom and see if you can feel any looseness. If not, then
back off another 1/12 and try again. (Don't bother bending the cotter key
until you are pretty sure you are finished with the adjustments.) Supposing
this time you feel some perceptible looseness, then you are now at the
minimum adjustment level (1/12 turn). I used to leave the axle nuts
adjusted so there was some perceptible looseness. However, with the last
set of bearings, which I installed approximately 60k miles ago, I have kept
them tightened to the point of no looseness, determined as I described, by
grabbing the wheel top and bottom and alternately pushing and pulling.

When we discussed this adjustment previously on the List, there were some
who thought I was asking for premature bearing failure by running them this
tight. However, my experience so far seems to be to the contrary. And
really, the difference we're talking about is only the minimum 1/12 turn of
the axle nut. As far as I can understand, once you have any perceptible
looseness, the pre-load is zero and loosening it further could have no good
effect. My advice is to make you choice; barely perceptible play or 1/12th
tighter and no play at all. Either way, I think you will be fine. I would
check those bearings periodically though when you finally  get the "Queen"
out of the garage and on the road. This is actually good advice for all of
us, but especially for the period after installing new bearings.

Hope you and everyone on the List is enjoying the Labor Day weekend.

TTFN,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES