Re: inquiry 083099a (valve covers)

To: laifman@flash.net, rising_tiger@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: inquiry 083099a (valve covers)
From: "JR Carter" <rising_tiger@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:29:06 PDT
>If you are talking about the ones like Competition Cams makes, that look
>like a stock rocker, but have the tip modified for a roller against the
>stem, no mods are required.

That's great news Steve.  Thanks.

>Some valve cover corner filing may be required, on the corner nearest the
>firewall, or the elimination of the motor mount spacer >washers (not heat
>shield), which will lower the engine a bit.

>This needs to be considered carefully if you have a 6 blade fan you've cut
>to clear the rack.  It will lower the fan too, and may introduce
>interference.  I had my blades ‘reshaped’ by the rack.  Had to clean up the
>edges with a file, and the balance is a little off at 1500 rpm.

The PO removed my washers and heat shields.  I installed the 6 blade.  I
removed 1/2" from each blade and it worked great.  Now that you mention this
though, it makes me think that the 3/8" - 1/2" variance that folks recommend
for removal could come from the absence of the washers.

Thanks for the reply Steve,

Jeff