Automatic

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Automatic
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:26:18 -0400
Folks,
        I have decided to replace my 4 speed with a C4 automatic,
(the only thing that will fit my Tiger 351C with the motor moved back).
I aquired a C4 from a 77 Cougar Thursday night. Took Friday off from
work and at 4:30 Sunday I had a completely rebuilt C4. As I had never
overhauled an automatic before, I used a Haynes Techbook 10355 on
Ford Automatic Transmission Overhaul.  There are 232 photos of the
disassembly and re-assembly of the transmission.  I cross referenced
the disassembly photo number with the reassembly number and made
sticky back tags with the dissassmembly number.  As I disassembled an item
I immideately cleaned it and put it in a plastic bag with the photo number.
For re-assembly I simply found the bag with the proper number and
used those parts or matched those parts up with the rebuild kit
parts.  I replaced all gaskets, seals, thrust washers, and friction material
as well as the forward and rear bushings.  Luckly, all the metal
parts seemed to be in good shape (except the thrust washers).
        The only unclear instructions related to the shift linkage,
but I got that figured out.  The hardest part was cleaning the external
surface of the transmission.
        The rebuild kit had many extra parts of similar type, so
keeping the old parts identified with the photo number was critical.
For example there must have been 4 different sets of seals for a servo, each
set a slightly different size.  I had the large "A" servo.
        This C4 is for the 164 tooth flex plate, so It will bolt
directly to my 351C and I can use the original 351C flex plate and
block plate that came with the motor years ago.
        Next week end I will start pulling the motor (out the top).
I have a 7' ceiling and I use a come-along attached to a chain in
the ceiling.  Never had a problem with clearance before.  My front
cross member is solidly welded in by the way.
        I now have $350 invested in the transmission,
plus 20 hours of labor.
        Still need to get a floor shifter.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others