cold air and tachs

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: cold air and tachs
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:08:38 -0700

Doug writes:
>I have been noticing the last couple days, we have had a
>bit of a cold  snap here & my Tiger loves it. It runs a lot more
powerfully
>after warmup than what it does on those hot summer days, I did a" dump the
>clutch" acceleration run this evening & it ran real strong, shifting at
the
>end of the scale (5500 rpm?) on my somewhat questionable tach in first &
>second. On hot days it sometimes goes flat aftre 4500 or so.

While your car may be running differently, I would suggest the more likely
result may be the cold air on the tach itself.  I know that when I drove my
car to work in the early mornings when it was in the 40s/50s, the RPM at a
given speed was in fact different than the RPM shown for the same speed
when I came home and the temp was in the 70s.  I remember inquiring and
someone had an explanation about the cold weather affecting the internals
of the tach.

Jay