Tail piece

To: "Bellis" <Bellis@isoc.net>
Subject: Tail piece
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:13:10 -0400
At 07:34 PM 9/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>thanks for the reply but all i need is a trans  really all i need is
>tailshaft housing i have the front box but my housing is questionable if you
>hear of one or a junk trans for sale keep me in mind
>thanks
>bob "b9473215" ellis

       Bob,
         Will do.  However, I do not understand why you would need a
tailshaft housing unless it was broken in a wreck or something.
The rear bushing can be replaced and the rear seal can be replaced.
Other than the speedometer cable mount, there is nothing else in the
tail piece.  It is just a big chunk of cast iron.  Now if you have
the wrong tail piece then your stock shifter (and driveshaft) may not fit.
JB Weld might be able to repair a non structrual crack
that is leaking oil.

      The rear bushing in a 4 speed is similar to that in an automatic.

         I just replaced the rear bushing in a C4 automatic.
Found a washer the same OD as the bushing and another washer
with the same OD as the ID of the bushing. Used a 1/2" threaded rod
and two nuts to secure the two washers to the rod. Slipped the rod
with washers inside the tailpiece (from the front).  Placed a large socket
over the rod and then flush with the end of the tailpiece.
(removed the seal first). added another 1/2" ID washer and a nut.
As I turned the last nut the bushing was retracted from the tail piece
with no damage.  To install the new bushing, I removed the large socket
flipped the rod/washers around so that the rod extended through the
new bushing and the tail piece.  Added a flat plate as a giant washer
on the front of the tail piece with a nut and proceeded to pull the
new bushing in as I tightened the nut.
        The bushing could have been removed with a 3 arm puller
if the arms were narrow,  The arms on my puller were too thick.
One could probably use a 3 jaw puller to press the bushing in
if you could get the arms to hang on the lip of the tailpiece.
Probably not enough room to do any of this with the transmission
installed in a tiger.

        Other random information: The piston from a Tiger brake
caliper is exactly the same OD as the front bushing in a C4
automatic.  A used piston and a hammer does a fine job of
removing and reinstalling a new front bushing in a C4.
(And my wife asks why I save all that old junk).

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others