Hurricanes and Polish

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Hurricanes and Polish
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:45:29 -0400
Well, the great hurricane came through New England last night, amounting to
little more than a typical rainstorm with a bit of extra wind,   With the kids'
soccer and band practice cancelled, I was looking forward to a quiet evening in
the garage......

Lets just sat that you should NEVER NEVER NEVER put rugs in a basement, and if
you do, NEVER NEVER NEVER put a felt pad under it.  The previous owner of my
house did.  Answer this:  If anything unplanned happens with water in your
house, where does it all want to go?  That's right, the basement

All was fine until certain unnamed children managed to knock the end of the
gutter drain pipe off sometime this summer, and my wife did a little
landscaping right around that area.  We had little rain all summer, but we had
a bunch of inches yesterday from the ex-hurricane  Suddenly lots of water was
being dumped right next to the foundation, which has this small crack that
never mattered before.  Needless to say, the evening was spent sucking about
many gallons of dirty water out of the basement rug and pad.

I had planned to do some polishing on the aluminum wheels I finally installed
on the Tiger.  I was going to try a few different compounds I've had kicking
around the garage for years.

I don't want a mirror finish on the wheels, I just want to clean them up a bit,
even out the finish, etc.  There are both machined and rough cast portions
visible.  It's probably been a couple years since these had been touched, and
when I bought them up, the had been sitting outside, covered with leaves, etc.
What's good these days for cleaning and polishing aluminum?

Stu