Re: cooling, round II

To: Chris Vaught <CVaught@hawaii.rr.com>, tiger list <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cooling, round II
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:52:25 -0700
Chris,

I'm really not surprised that none of this helped. The effects of
restrictions, thermostats, etc. are more subtle than you are experiencing.
However, it seems you still have some advice from the List yet to heed. I
believe it was alluded to in several other postings, but probably most
clearly in this one by Jim Leach.

>Chris,
>     You should replace the thermostat, as it also functions as a water
>restrictor (someone mentioned that) I recommend you find a shop that has a
>cooling system pressure tester, and have the test performed: it resembles a
>bicycle pump that replaces your radiator cap, and has a pressure gauge.  If
>there is a headgasket leaking or a cracked block or head, the pressure will
>fall.  If you remove the spark plugs, you may be able to hear a leak
>especially if you use a length of hose as a stethoscope.
>Jim Leach,  Seattle

Read particularly carefully that part starting with "If there is a
headgasket leaking or a cracked block or head, . . . ".  Now, no one likes
to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you failed to completely fill the
radiator and block the first time, it seems the only explanation for steam
in the system (as evidenced by the collapsed water hose), must be a leak
from a combustion chamber into the water system. If you are using plain
water, you might not notice the extra water coming out the tailpipe, which
would be white smoke if it were glycol. Plug each of the spark plugs and
look for signs of water. With a leak as bad as this one seems to be, it
should be pretty obvious from the appearance of the plugs which cylinder(s)
is/are bad. On the other hand, if all eight plugs look normal, then I think
you can be pretty sure you don't have a leak into the cooling system. If
this were to be the case, then I'd be at a loss to know what's wrong. You
need to check some basic functions like is water flowing through the
system? Put you hand up against the radiator while the engine is running
and feel the temperature distribution. If it's getting hot everywhere, as
it should, then the water pump must be working and the radiator is also
reasonably clean. If you have good airflow through the radiator, then the
engine should stay cool - or at least a lot cooler than yours is. But the
first thing to do, I believe, is start pulling spark plugs.

Not optimistic in San Diego,

Bob