VIN plate

To: <Alf615@aol.com>
Subject: VIN plate
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@mintcity.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:43:23 -0400
Gosh Peter I hope you realized what a can of worms you just opened. Many of
the folks on this list have a great concern that the original vin plate be
attached with the original rivets, & here you want a whole new plate. I do
not know of any legal way to replace the VIN plate & I have found out that
removing & reinstalling the original plate (to paint underneath) is illegal,
and in the eyes of some of the Tiger Listers, downright immoral too! The
only legal way that I know of to replace a VIN plate is to work with your
states department of motor vehicles, or whatever they call the folks who
handle license plates in your area, to obtain a new vin plate, or probably a
sticker that will allow you to register your car. If you have the original
VIN plate, regardless of it's condition, rivet the darn thing back on the
car & deny to everybody that it was ever off!!!I have heard that original
style VIN plate rivets are avalible, but I have not attempted to purchase
any. If the plate is still on your car, I'd advise you leave it there &
paint around it.
Happy Motoring
Doug Leithauser