Re: tiger valuations

To: Camsales@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tiger valuations
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:09:48 EST
In a message dated 11/15/99 2:28:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Camsales@aol.com writes:

<< I am considering purchasing a 1965 model.  How should I approach valuing
it?
 Are there any guides or guidelines available?  I have perused the websites a
 little but haven't found enough info to develop a value.
 Thanks for any help. >>

I kind of see four levels of Tiger pricing:
1. $6000-8000.Maybe a runner, but definitely not a driver. Expect to spend at
least $15,000 more to have a decent car. That does not include rust repair
which may very likely be a part of the deal.
2. $10,000-12,0000. Decent driver. Tired paint, interior, suspension, or
motor likely (at least two out of that four need work!). Look at spending
$5,000 to $10,000 to make "right".
3. $15,000-18,000. Very nice driver, not concours. Either well kept, pretty
original car or a car someone has put more into it than they can sell it for.
If you want minimal hassles, lots of fun and a turn key operation, shop in
this level.
4. $20,000 and up. Concours or very seriously hot rodded (vintage race). This
is the most difficult area to purchase in because whoever the seller is, they
have big dollars into the car, know they are going to take a licking and may
not have done the car right to be competitive in either venue...Unless you
really know what you are looking at, find someone locally who knows Tigers
inside and out before laying out cash at the upper end.

Also, if you have followed this list, you are aware that there are a number
of fake Tigers in circulation. The easiest way to avoid getting taken is to
ask if the car has been authenticated and by who.

Good luck-Mike