Steering Rack & Oil Cooler

To: Tigers submission <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack & Oil Cooler
From: Harry Elam <HBElam@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:07:13 -0500
        For  -  Les McClelland

REF:  " I am needing to replace the rack in this car. Where can they be
obtained, how much are they, and how difficult is it to install?"

Les,
        I had Tom Ehrhart rebuild mine in about 1985 or so.  Now,
100K miles later it needs it again because of rather hard use.  Tom
has put me on his schedule for this winter. I don't know how much
work Tom is taking in retirement but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

 Tom is sometimes at "Tigertoms@aol.com".

        For  -  Chris Vaught

REF:   "what size cooler can i use and where would it mount"

Chris,
        From 83 until recently I used an old Alpine unit.  My car
(and I think all Tigers) still has the mounting brackets in front of
the radiator.  I mounted it with the oil lines coming out of the top
for easier connection.  For hose I used refrigeration hose with
the special hose clamps.  It cooled well.  The only reason I
took it off was one of the hoses had finally started to wear and
my car runs too cold now, anyway.  When you find an Alpine
unit you will need the hose connections too. You cut off the
old hose but use the screw-on fittings.

Harry Elam
B382000471
XJ6