Re: brake lights

To: Chris Vaught <cvaught@hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Re: brake lights
From: randya@pacbell.net
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:23:27 -0800
Hi Chris - I just had to deal with this problem.  The standard brake light
switch is attached
to a 4 way brake line junction which is located under the generator (or
alternator in your
case).  I am using silicone brake fluid which seems to ruin the switch; the
brakes work fine
but the switch will not close and activate the lights.  The after-market
solution is to use a
brake light switch connected to the brake petal arm.  The switch is in contact
with the arm
when there is no pressure on the petal; at this point the switch is open.  When
the petal
is depressed, the petal closes and activates the lights.  I purchased a Borg
Warner S237 switch,
but there are probably many compatible switches.  - Randy