getrag 5-speeds

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: getrag 5-speeds
From: Pappentl@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 06:15:59 EST
mike,

the getrag boxes in the early 4-cylinder cars did have problems with their
synchros, particularly on second gear, but the getrag 265 5-speeds as used in
the '80-81 528i and '85 535i are almost industructable.  our '80 wnet down to
rust with 210k and the current '81 has 192k on it and it shifts as smoothly
as any trans i've driven (perhaps better with the shortshift kit).

...tom
tiger in pieces, bmws on the road...

>>That's a very interesting solution...the Gertrag box has a very sweet
action,
makes shifting even more fun. The only question I would have regards
synchros. I have driven a number of BMWs where the synchros, particularly
second gear, have gone away relatively early in the life of the trans.
Nonetheless, thank you for the information. BTW, I believe the Gertrag trans
has been used in quite a number of cars over the years, including some
American cars.
Mike