Injectors

To: "'twojohnsons@home.com'" <twojohnsons@home.com>
Subject: Injectors
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 10:41:43 -0600
Al,
Injectors are easily tested at home if you have a pressurized fuel supply
and an electronic fuel injector triggerer. The little trigger unit fires the
injector for a specific number of pulses at a time and is fairly
inexpensive.
Theo is the master of fuel injection and is currently building his own but
since I did not see a response....
Spray pattern is good to check but more importantly is the volume of fuel
injected. The pattern helps with atomization but it is more important to
balance the volume of fuel to each cylinder. I can't recall if fords are
sequentially injected or if they are like Chevy's and fire each  side all at
once.
There is a couple of methods to check injectors for balance.

On car:
If they are still on the car you can use the pressure drop method. You need
an accurate pressure gauge and the electronic pulse box to fire the
injector.
Pressurize the injectors by switching key on. Switch key off and wait 1
minute if there is no leak down in pressure you can proceed as all injectors
are operating correctly and the pintles seal well. Choose the minimum pulse
firing (can't recall and it is too damn cold to go look in the garage) and
observe the fuel pressure drop. Repeat for each injector. This is not the
best test as you can't observe the pattern that goes with the squirt.

Off car
This is the easiest test. Set up a pressurized system (at fords pressure
whatever that might be) with a high volume fuel injection pump, a fuel log
and a graduated cylinder to squirt the fuel into. Repeat as above but choose
the next number of pulses and observe the spray pattern and volume of fluid
in the graduated cylinder. Keep testing until you find a nicely matched set.

We found back in the (Dare I say It) IROC days with our Camero that you made
more power with the smaller 305 cu. In. injectors at higher pressures (55-60
lbs.) than with the 350 cu. In. injectors at the factory settings or with
bumped up pressure (42-46 lbs.). The reason we believe this was the case was
due to improved atomization out of the smaller injector as it sprayed out
rather than dribbled out of the larger injector.

I hope this helps somewhat Al.

Best Holiday Regards,
Tim Ronak
B382000680