Re: Trim screws

To: Tiger289@aol.com
Subject: Re: Trim screws
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 17:36:33 EST
Actually only about 4 trim screws each side.  The rest
are special pop rivets that allow the trim to side between
the strip and paint.  If you repaint the car you have to be
very careful not to make the paint so thick that there is
no longer room for the trim piece and the paint under the
pop rivet.  Most people drill the pop rivets and convert to
small screws and nuts.  You can get the screws and nuts
at just about any hardware store.  Take a trim piece along
and make sure the screw head slides into the piece.

Using a 1/4 socket and your fingers you can tighten a
lock washer and nut unto the screws after the trim piece
is held in place with paint masking tape.  Of course you'll
have to have the door panel, trunk panels, etc removed.
I remember all the nuts could be reached easily with the
exception of the small trim piece on the front fenders.
You cant get behind to attach a nut.  I think I used a
VW trim clip there.

Remember to not overtighten and possibly crack your
new paint job.

Still have a set of original pop rivets in a Chrysler bag
that I'm keeping in my collection.

Dave Johnson, B382002668, Chicago