Re: 4-spd overdrive

To: CE25593@aol.com
Subject: Re: 4-spd overdrive
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 1994 20:44:47 -0500
Bob,
        I previously installed a cast iron SROD in my 351C Tiger.

 Two problems:

1. The Shifter linkage must be modified to cause the front shifter
lever to operate backwards as the 1:1 gear is now "3rd" and the 3rd
gear is now " overdrive".  The front lever must extend down and the
shift rod length adjusted to match.

2.  The Gear ratios SUCK! there is way too much of a gap from 2nd to "3rd".
On downshift from "3rd" to 2nd I often caused the rear tires to lock
up due to engine compression.

         I swapped out the SROD for a C4 automatic.

        If you are able to put the SROD gears in your Tiger Case then
you will have similar problems.  The SROD is also 1 1/2" shorter than the
Tiger II wide ratio transmission.

Had a hell of a time adapting a Hurst Indy Shifter to the SROD.  Had to make
a special mounting bracket.

At 03:42 PM 1/6/2000 EST, you wrote:
>After enjoying the list for the past year I am now seeking assistance with
>the Mk1a I'm slowly rebuilding.  Since this will be a daily driver, I wish to
>install an overdirve transmission.  Having failed in my search for the fabled
>AMC tailshaft, I am considering an alternate approach.  The Sept., 1980 Hot
>Rod magazine has an article that talks about installing the Ford overdrive
>gearset from a '77-'78 transmission into the early Ford toploader gearbox.
>This provides a 1:1 3rd gear and either a .8:1 or .7:1 4th gear.
>
>Have any of you had any success with this conversion?  I spoke with Stick
>Only and they say the Tiger mainshaft was not a standard Ford part and, as
>such, would not permit the gears to be interchanged.  I thought the Tiger
>toploader was a stock Ford item.
>
>Your constructive comments are appreciated.  Thank you.
>
>Bob, San Diego
>B382000793

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others