RE: Is it a tiger?

To: "'Ronak, TP (Timothy)'" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>,
Subject: RE: Is it a tiger?
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:27:30 -0700
Hi Tim, are you back in town? Did you mount skates on the Tiger for the
commute into town?

You were lucky enough to find a Tiger that was in reasonably original
condition. Most Tigers have, at some point, had an engine transplant or
rebuild done, and depending on when that was, the PO could have substituted
dress-up valve covers for the originals. And, of course, with the current
standard in restoration being the strip-and-dip, the prospective restorer is
faced with some tough choices about what to do with the VIN plate.

There exist lots of legitimate Tigers that don't have the original VIN plate
rivets (and, since they are available on the after-market, that's not a sure
tell-tale) or valve covers. Reviewing some of the points that you covered
helps, but it's even better to have someone familiar with Rootes and Jensen
assembly practice look over the car to get an idea if the attaching of the
Tiger-specific pieces was done by a factory guy or a hack like me
(hypothetically speaking, of course ;) ).

Also, while the book of Norman is a tremendous reference work for all of us,
the printed registry data dates back to 1991 (?) and purposely excludes
information for Tigers that have not been 'claimed' by someone since the
Registry was started. Norm has all of the up-to-date information and can
verify specifics with a prospective buyer through email or phone calls.

Just adding some fuel to the fire.

Theo