Homologation - Long

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Homologation - Long
From: "Bill and Carol Rogers" <milward@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:03:25 -0800
I hate to have an aircraft guy second guess a rocket scientist but Steve's
list of 1966 available LAT options lacks a few found on the contemporary
list dated 1 September 1966 from the ST Division of International
Automobiles that came from my bro-in-law, the original owner of our Tiger.

What was available then were LAT 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16,
17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 25, 27, 48, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 58, 60, 63, 67, 68, 69,
70, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, and 79.  This list is very similar to that
in Taylor's "Tiger - Making of a Sports Car".  TMOSC also lists upgrade
parts available from Rootes Competitions Dept - no mention of LAT numbers.
Were LAT parts ever made available in England?

I have several other questions about this list.  Norm Miller's TBON lists
many other LAT numbers; how and when were these made available?   Tigers
were sold throughout the US; were they also unloaded on the East Coast and
if so, were Los Angeles Tiger options installed there at the dealers, at a
"New York Rootes Final Assembly Plant" or did you have to buy an improved LA
car and have it shipped to you?

Homologation:  My background is in '60's European rallying and to me
homologation is the paperwork by which the factory, via the British RAC, had
their cars approved as "production" under Appendix J by the French
Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FAI) for use in International
races and rallies.  The RAC had to certify a minimum number made.  In
addition the homologation form listed Optional equipment, which may or may
not have been accepted as legal by FAI.  More mods were permitted as one
moved up from Group 1, Touring Car; Gp 2 , Modified Touring;  Group 3, GT;
and Group 4 Sportscars.

In the last 10 years Historic Rallying has really taken off and the RAC dug
into their archives to provide copies of the contemporary documents so
everyone would know what was approved for the year of the car.

I have 3 of these for 1964, '65, and '66.  The last was given to me by Dave
McDermott and was part of the info he received with his Targa car AHP483B.

For 1964 in GT, FAI Recognition # 176, Valid 11 Jly '64, the following
options were approved:

 Alternate 2V and 4V Carb P/Ns  C4D5951OE and C4AF DAA 3LD
 Tri-Y type exhaust manifolds P/N 1219179
 Additional Fuel tank to bring capacity up to 140L (37 US Gal) P/N1219175
Engine Oil Cooler P/N A267
 Rear Axle oil cooler and pump P/N 1219176
 Bevel Pinion Differential P/N 1224887
 Engine Sump for 10.2L Oil Capacity P/N C4026675A
 Mag Wheel 127mm wide P/N 1219177
 Mag Wheel 140mm wide P/N 1219178

Also various gear box and rear axle ratios were optional

For 1965 in GT, FAI Recognition # 211, Valid 1 Aug. '65, the following
options were approved:

 Alternate 2V and 4V Carb P/Ns  C4D 951OE and C4AF DAA 3LD
 Exhaust manifolds - DELETED*
Additional Fuel tank to bring capacity up to 117L (30.9 US Gal)
Engine Oil Cooler P/N
 Touring Camshaft - DELETED*
 Bevel Pinion Differential
Engine Sump for 8L Oil Capacity
 Mag Wheel 127mm wide (5")
 Mag Wheel 140mm wide (5.5")
 Alternative Cylinder Head - DELETED*
 Tropical Radiator increasing capacity

Again, various gear box and rear axle ratios were optional
* DELETED means that they were submitted for homologation by the RAC on
behalf of Rootes, but disapproved by the FAI

For 1966 in GT, FAI Recognition # 509, Valid 1 Jan. '66, the following
options were approved:

Mag Wheels P/N 5221007
 Limited Slip Diff P/N 1229810 (Salisbury Powr-Lok)
 Alternate final Drive ratios
 Alternate Steering rack P/N 5221021
 8.000 rpm Tach and Mechanical Tappets with alternate camshaft (not listed)
 Supplemental Fuel Tank cap. 10.2 US gals ( Total cap. 23.7 US gals)

Bodywork mods were also disallowed in 1966

The Rootes Competition Dept, like the other teams used Minilite wheels.

Norm in TBON quotes another homologation document, which I suspect was for
US (SCCA?) racing use.  Perhaps he can enlighten us.

In 1966, my brother-in-law put on a Ford 4V carb and widened steel wheels -
who knows anything about that non-LAT option?

IMHO.  Garrard's contacts with the Competitions Dept were used to get the
right bits for the rally engines, and West Coast racers developed racing
pieces, but most LAT options were bolt on hot rod items designed by the West
Coast importer to increase profit margins and had little or nothing to do
with the Rootes Group factory.

It is interesting to see the scramble for LAT parts - I have a pristine
LAT14 that must be worth a fortune.

Bill Rogers