Re: Homologation - Shorter

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Homologation - Shorter
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:58:50 +0000
Mike,

Much of what you say has good roots in the marketing world.  And yes, there
were a
great number of food fights over the legitimacy of the Final Assembly Line, but
it
was not fiction but an attempt to end run the rules.  While such a "Factory"
existed, it could 'legitimize' the dealer installation.  That is, of course, if
the sanctioning bodies bought in.  Some did, some didn't, some changed their
mind
on specific items and different times (particularly the 'race only' stuff that
is
NOT in the dealer catalog, and was put on at the "Factory Race Department"
(which
may have extended to the top drivers garages after initial delivery, and new
releases.)

Take a good look at our current racing Tigers, whose wins we are so justifiably
proud of today.  Look like yours?  Going to use some of the improvements?  I
sure
think the new front disc brakes, and other forthcoming products resulting from
Team Tiger's efforts are very exiting, even if not 'Factory Stock".  The 'good
old
days' are still with us. Thanks,
Barry Schonberger <BKSchonb@usi.edu> and Joel Griffin <jkgriffs@yahoo.com>.

Of course it was a method of increasing Dealer and distributor profit.  They
were
not in the charity business.  But the fact remains that a great number were
developed specifically to enhance stock class wins at regional races, improving
the cars image and increasing demand for the car itself, even without race
options.  This isn't a new technique.  Do you suppose the "Stock Car" races have
anything at all to do with design improvement, or product development.  Those
cars
resemble "stock cars" in the vaguest possible way.  It's all marketing.

Luckily for us, Ian shared these enhancements with his customers, and gave us
some
developed, integrated, and generally working improvements to our cars.  And
made a
few bucks, and sold some more Tigers, GREAT. Wish such a program were available
today for our new cars.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/