Re: charging

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: charging
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:45:41 -0700
Tim,

What kind of alternator are you using? If it's an original Capri V-6
alt, I very much doubt that it was an internal-regulator type. This
means that you will need to find its matching regulator (a box typically
about 3 x 4 x 2 inches) and wire it to the alternator's field
connections. Since the series V Alpine came with an alternator, you
could probably re-use its regulator if you have a willing automotive
electrical technician as an accomplice.

As far as your ammeter goes, you can easily test its function by
removing it from the dash and wiring it in series with a headlight, then
connecting the combination to a battery. You should see about 5 amps
draw, in either direction. Switching the ammeter's connections will make
it deflect in the opposite direction.
VERY IMPORTANT: "series" means that one wire goes from the battery + to
one connection on the ammeter; then another wire goes from the other
connection to one of the side terminals on the headlight; and a third
wire goes from the center terminal of the headlight to the battery -. If
you find yourself wanting four pieces of wire to complete this circuit,
you're trying to set up a parallel connection, which will blow up the
ammeter.
If this is confusing, get back to me, and I'll post a schematic on my
website or email it.

Regards,
Theo