Re: keys

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: keys
From: FHSLOTH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:23:48 EST
I had several keys that fit different locks on my Tiger and wanted one key
for the doors, trunk and console. A local locksmith showed me a trick to make
all the keys fit the respective locks.

Remove the cylinders from the different locations that you want to be the
same. When you insert a key the pins will pop up according to the cut of the
key. The ones that pop up will not allow the cylinder to turn in the lock
housing. You need to file these pins flush with the surface of the cylinder.
Do this for each key you want to fit in that cylinder. Repeat for each lock
cylinder for which you want a common key. The ignition key fits only the
ignition lock. The keys with the square finger tab will fit all the other
locks.

For a locksmith to recut keys to fit your individual locks creates the risk
of ruining your original keys. Filing the pins does not hurt anything. For a
locksmith to repin your locks is time consuming; and everyone knows time
means $$$.

Hope this helps.

Fred Baum
MKI 9470768