Fwd: Balancing a 69 Ford 302, distributor choice?

To: tigers@autox.team.net, derekw@zamnet.zm
Subject: Fwd: Balancing a 69 Ford 302, distributor choice?
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:17:48 EST
--part1_be.1495060.25d7441c_boundary

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:25:00 -0500
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
To: FrizBMG@aol.com

-> I took my crank, flywheel and balancer to Zimbabwe to be ground,
-> hardened and balanced but they don't know the "formula" for balancing
-> the 302. Do any of you know?

 Um.  Er.  Hmm...

 All 90 degree V8s use the same balance formula.

  one piston
+ one wristpin
+ one piston ring set
+ 1 pair of pin locks (if used)
+ weight of pin end of one rod
+ rod bearing
+ rod bearing
+ big end of rod
+ big end of rod
----------
= bob weight per crank throw

 The formula is 50% reciprocating, 100% rotating weight.  Some shops add
5 to 15 grams for "oil weight".  I normally don't.  Ford is usually with
+/- 5 grams on pistons and rods to start with.  Make sure the guy who
does the balance uses a timing gear to space the harmonic balancer
properly on the crank snout or it'll throw everything off.

 Good luck!

I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
=================================== http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm

--part1_be.1495060.25d7441c_boundary--