Re: Engine Removal Clearance

To: 2mbb@concentric.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Removal Clearance
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:14:48 EST
In a message dated 02/13/2000 11:03:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
2mbb@concentric.net writes:

<< I'm pulling the 302/top loader on my MK1 in a week or so.  My exhaust
 has an H-style cross over located a few inches in front of the
 transmission mount.  Does anyone know if I can pull the engine as is, or
 will I have to cut out the cross over for clearance.  I'm planning to
 pull the engine out the top, if that makes any difference.

 Thanks in advance for the help. >>

Mark-
Don't know about pulling the motor out the top with the crossover in place. I
take it the H-pipe is welded to the collectors? If you have the ability to
unbolt the exhaust in front of the x-member pass throughs, I would suggest
dropping the motor out the bottom, which is a far easier proposition, anyway.
Just disconnect the brake lines and steering shaft at the rack, unbolt and
drop the crossmember. Remove the fan shroud, fan, sometimes the water pump
needs to be pulled too, to give sufficient room to "walk" the engine/trans
assembly forward far enough. Take out your engine and tranny mounts, pull the
headers...you get the idea. Then drop the motor down onto something which
will allow you to move the whole assembly out from under the car. When
everything is said and done, I think this is the easiest way to pull the
motor.
Mike