RE: 260 Info

To: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Subject: RE: 260 Info
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 15:00:06 -0500
Theo,
        I bought a Boss 302 years ago that the owner
had taken to a car wash.  One piston was seized in
the bore due to the rust caused by the washing.
One must seal intake, including vacumn holes
as well as the exhaust ports if you have a chance of
not wasting the motor.  Note that this type of cleaning
is fine if you plan to rebuild immideatly as you will
be able to dry the cylinders out as you open the motor up.
A little water setting in a bore will waste the motor
if you simply clean and wrap the motor for long term
storage.

At 12:09 PM 2/13/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Tym,
>
>Take it to the car wash, blast the gunk off the outside of the engine, then
>buy yourself an engine stand, mount the engine on it, and bag the whole
>assembly. If you sell it, you'll kick yourself five or ten years down the
>line. The 'original parts' (even the parts that aren't original, but that
>came with your car) lose that distinction once you part with them. Even if
>you never re-use that engine and transmission, they're still part of the
>car.
>
>My $.02,
>
>Theo

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others