inquiry 022300g

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 022300g
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:41:03 -0600
E2CFlyr@aol.com wrote:
>I am just wondering if the disadvantage of weight
>is minimal in comparison to the advantage of horsepower
>gained in a bigger engine.  From a 289 to something bigger
>is a dramatic change in weight isn't it?

        E2C, I see you got a fair # of responses, but I thought I'd comment
that going from a 260/289 to a 302 shouldn't add much weight at all to the
car. After that, if you're talking about switching engine _types_, well,
that's different. BTW, someone once posted to the list either a chart of
engine types and their weights, or a web address to find same. I don't
recall the particulars, though, except that a Chrysler "early hemi", of
331/354/392 cubic inches, was at/near the top of the list at +/- 700 pounds.

Jay Laifman wrote:
>On the other hand, has anyone had any experience
>putting later window regulators into earlier doors?
>Like to install the higher handle?

        Doh! I have at least one SV regulator in my MK1. Located it place
the crank in the "low" position, as at the time (paint & bodywork, involving
partial disassembly of the car in 1994) I wasn't changing the interior,
including door panels. Then, in 1997, when I got a new interior, I guess I
could have opted for "high" position door panels. And I didn't. Oh, well,
I've learned to crank the windows without  banging my knuckles.
        The regulator went right in, as I recall.

Chris Mottram wrote:
>My Mk1a has a hole about the size of a dime on the top
>of the fire wall under each corner of the hood. 1 near
>the VIN plate and the other in the opposite corner.
>Are these holes original?

        Perhaps for the "poppers" for a solenoid-controlled hood release.
Look around the engine compartment for the "hydros" and controls for a
"dancing hood" set-up. :^)
        Seriously, it must be for hood pins, as others have pointed out. You
_do_ have the rubber snubbers in place for supporting the corners of the
hood, right?

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333