Re: Pertronics

To: Bill Holden <Holden@npo.bae.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronics
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:32:46 +0000
Bill,

I found my original box.  The info on it is:

Pertronix inc.
IGNITOR
Solid State Electronic Ignition System
Part Number 1281 (Ford)
1268 East Edna Place
Covina, California 91724
818-331-4801

There is a Hot Coil that they sell, as well, although your stock one works too.
There is also a caution about what kind of "Hot Coil" you should use.  Although
you can use any kind of High Energy SYSTEM, just adding a "Hot Coil" requires
some
caution, due to the current handling limitations of the circuitry, vs some
aggressive replacements.

First, you should only buy a Hot Coil that is specifically labeled "Point Type"
coil.  Almost any will be fine, but the Ignitor sets a minimum resistance of 1.5
ohms on the primary circuit.  If a ballast resistor is required to achieve this,
use the one provided by the coil manufacturer.  Pertronix's coil is "Flame
Thrower
40,000 volts".

I bought a hot Chrome MSD coil, which measured 1.3 ohms.   The Stock Ford was
2.5
ohms, so I could not use the stock resistor, but used the MSD resistor that came
in the coil box.

Very pleased with set-up, and it is fully compatible with the MSD high power
systems, using the small red wire and the Ignitor black wire connected to the
MSD
small white wire.  MSD magnetic pick-up wires are NOT used.

Don't know if this is the source of Tach problems on the High Energy  Systems,
has
anybody done this installation, either as direct or otherwise, and found a
difference in Tach operation?

Steve

--
Steve