inquiry 032400A

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 032400A
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:50:48 -0600
Ray McCrary wrote:
>I noticed that a Mustang resto shop is selling a
>Tiger pan on eBay, and put it on the list.  Since this
>is a business (not an individual and a non Tiger
>business at that) placing a commercial advertisement,
>does this mean that we can now place commercial ads
>on the list?

        If it's the Mustang shop I think it is, they do advertise Tiger
service on their website, and list a few Tiger parts -- but at nose-bleed
prices, IMHO.
        I'm not in favor of a _ban_ on commercial posts, but wouldn't fight
a movement to implement one either. The Tiger parts suppliers are a part of
the Tiger 'community' yet I do think that perhaps the postors should make an
effort to tie in their pitches to relevant List activity. "When you do that
engine swap, make sure that the engine indeed has an oil pan, And, BTW, I
just happen to have one up for auction on eBay." Or maybe something like
that. Or better.

Steve Laifman wrote:
>Well, I decided it wasn't worth letting a friend wait.

        Why, thanks, Steve!

>As an example, I got about $200 off the price of my '
>52 MG-TD (SNIP) My '54 XK-120M (SNIP) My '59
>Porsche 356 (SNIP) The 300 SL

        Anything you left out? A Denzel? Pegaso? A Bugatti Royale? :^)

>> LAT69  Talbot "Racing" mirrors
>The Talbot mirrors were offered in both the "Junior",
> about 3 inch mirror, and the "Senior", about  4 inch
>mirror, with the same LAT number and price. Surprisingly
>this very well made mirror was Dealer net of $1.50, and
>suggested List of $3.95.

        Pretty sure mine are "senior", then. I haven't measured diameter
since the time I ordered replacement glass. The little "Talbot, Berlin"
badges are rather worn, indicating age (original???), but not a mark on the
chrome. I think they look awfully good to have sold for $3.95 each!

>A copy was offered in England, by Rootes.  A Good repro
>goes for about $100, new, today.   There was no picture in
>this particular catalog, so for all I know, it was a Lucas stem
>type mirror.

        Good drawing in TBON, though. Not a "stem type" if I understand your
meaning, but a conical housing w/a streamlined standoff. The place I
mentioned a few years back about replacement glass, Aardvark (see the back
of AutoWeek) wanted $250/pair or so; yeah, your cost estimate is close.

>The original TIGER oil pan (repro on e-bay)
>was $66.60, net, and $86.00 list.

        I happen to be in purchasing for a living, and daily confront the
difference between Discontinued, No Longer Made and No Longer Available. I
wonder if Mustangs Unlimited still has stock, even if they're not being made
any more? Or, perhaps, somebody bought up all of the inventory to corner the
market? Or, ??? I'd actually like one of these (I have a dent in my stock
pan), but mega-$$$ for something only the road kill will ever see is beyond
even _my_ frivolity limit.

>No info on Rootes Options.

        Thanks anyhow. Hey, could anybody cross-post the request to the
Alpine/Rapier/Hillman/Humber/whatever lists that we'd like pricing info on
Rootes accessories? Somebody might have all of the prices, and it might be a
good addition to somebody's website, hint-hint-hint.

Daniel S. Eiland wrote:
>   You think it was like it is today, whatever the
>advertised price is, double it, add for accessories and
>you have the price of the car if you want to take it home
>with you.

        Bingo, Dan. I guess it's a free-market economy, and dealers can
charge what they want. However, I cannot help but think it's a breach of
truth-in-advertising laws to proclaim in big bold numbers in national
advertising "ONLY $19,999", regardless of the fine print, if you cannot
actually buy one anywhere for that price. Ticks me off, so I usually don't
end up buying the hot-car-of-the-year. Susan drives a Nissan now in no small
part because the BMW dealer so bluntly told us he could, and would, charge
whatever he felt like for his cars. So, we went elsewhere and saved $10K,
which I promptly spent on the GQ. :^)

        Speaking of the Garage Queen, I get it back this afternoon. Back?
>From where? Film at eleven.

Lawrence R. Wright
"I can't get no -- Satis-traction"