Re: Windshield installation

To: "Chris Vaught" <CVaught@hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Windshield installation
From: "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:42:30 -0700
Chris,

    I just finished this process. Matter of fact I'm still waiting to
install the frame to the car.

"what type of sealant do I use?  what is the caulk cord advertised in the SS
catalog used for?"

    You need the caulking cord between the body and the body to windshield
gasket. This is used to keep water from going under the gasket and getting
soaked up by the dash pad since the windshield is mounted on top of the pad.
Don't use a lot. If you do it could interfere with the frame bolting down
properly. This is the last part of the installation.

"is there weather stripping between the two pieces of trim on the side of
the frame ( between the wind wing and the windshield) ?"

No weather-stripping. You need to use some kind of sealer between these two
pieces. Rick at SS supplied me with a tube of windshield caulking. You know
the stuff, it's that black sticky stuff they use on new cars to seal the
windshield when installing them. Again I caution not to use too much or it
will squeeze out during installation and make a real mess.

"last do you put the trim on once the glass is installed or as a complete
unit?"

First, mount the windshield to frame gasket to the windshield. Make sure you
align it correctly. The butt seam is normally at the bottom near the center.
The critical part here is finding the corners on the gasket to align with
the corners on the glass. If this isn't done correctly it can cause problems
when mounting to the frame.
Next, get some cord about 1/8 inch thick. I got mine at Wal-Mart. Same stuff
they use for curtains. Found it in the hardware section. This is a must.
Will make the installation a breeze. I installed the cord in the gasket
where the gasket mounts to the frame. Wrap it all the way around so the two
ends meet at the bottom center. I even overlapped them about 3 inches past
center on each side. Give yourself plenty of extra for handles to pull on.
Now you either need two people or you can put lots of soft padding on the
floor or counter and place the glass on top of the padding. Inside of glass
facing you. Set the frame on the glass and align the corners. The corners
need to be pushed together snuggly in order to know if you are properly
aligned. Make sure the ends of the cord are to the inside of the frame. Once
the frame and glass are aligned begin pulling on the cord as if you are
removing it. The lip of the gasket will be pulled over the frame lip with
little difficulty.

Now that you have the glass installed in the frame you can mount the ss
trim. If I recall, I installed the side pieces first, then the top, and the
bottom last. The body to windshield gasket can now be installed. Do not
stretch this gasket. Align the gasket with the mounting studs and cut the
holes for the mounting studs. I used a hole punch for this step. The final
piece to be installed will be the drip edge, that is the piece between the
window wing and the frame. Don't forget to put some windshield caulking
between these two pieces. Of course once you get all this done comes the
real fun of adjusting everything. Good luck. Hope I didn't forget anything.

Dan Eiland