inquiry 032700a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 032700a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:16:02 -0600
  Mark L. wrote:
>I saw one of juiced up Civics that you mention
>along side the road recently. (SNIP) Apparently this
>set up of the wheels was way too much strain for the
>suspension/ drive train because both front and rear had
>completely collapsed. Looked the wheels had just broken
>off.  Car was right down on the body work.

        I wonder if that car was "layin' frame".  Some of these 'kids'
actually do that on purpose, modify not only the suspension, but lower the
"body" over the "frame" (isn't that what was once called "channeling"?)
until, with the hydraulic or pneumatic suspension's pressure released, the
vehicle actually lays on the ground. Perhaps this is to ease entry/exit...
:^) There are photos somewhere on the web of a Honda Prelude sitting so low
that there were holes cut in the _tops_ of the fenders and the tires jutted
above the fender line.
        OTOH, as I didn't see the car you did, maybe it _was_ just busted.

Larry Paulick wrote:
>Larry, isn't nice to be the center of so much attention!
>But, did you recover from the experience enough to
>clear the Garage Queen?

        Yup. Clean now. BTW, I guess I really did rush Charlie a bit,
although inadvertently. Not only was the car still dusty, but when the
exhaust was reinstalled, it must've been off a bit, as the system rattles
loudly against the pass-through (I think) on the left side at idle.
        Also BTW, I was shown how the new pass-throughs are not concentric
with the header collectors. Larry, I was told yours are not, either. The
header outlets are in a slightly lower plane than the pass-throughs, and --
looking at the frame myself while the car was on the lift -- I could see
myself that it isn't practical to set the pass-throughs any lower. So,
either the new pipes will have a slight dog-leg in the short distance
between the headers and the pass-throughs, OR perhaps the header adapter
flanges could be offset somewhat. I'd imagine a _good_ exhaust shop could do
it either way.
        Oh, yeah. Speaking of clean, I noticed while the car was in the shop
that I had one of those dribble stains below the gas filler. It cleaned
right off, though. I hadn't seen that kind of stain since the days one of my
friends had a succession of Opel Mantas -- I swear the fuel filler almost
faced _down_ on those cars. I hope it has just sloppy refueling on my part,
or it means my gas cap is leaking. I have a new chrome door, but I think
that perhaps the inside "guts" are no longer available. Right?

and:
>Hi Group.  Larry Wright, Wayne Pierzga, and I have had
>work done at the same body shop.  Larry Wright for the
>before mentioned frame work, and Wayne and I for a lot of
>body work and a paint job on completely striped bodies.  And
>I mean a lot of body work.  You name it, and Charlie did it.

        Again, thanks, Larry for finding this place, and picking me up
Friday to go get the GQ!

Al J. wrote:
>Hey Larry--get creative---how about one of those welded chain steering
wheels?

        Oh, jeez; I think we had an ugliest-potential-Tiger-mods thread a
couple of years back. Actually, duplicating in 1:1 scale the AMT Tiger kit
w/all the "accessories" included in the kit would get you 1st prize. :^)
        Well, how about using those fake-drilled-brake-rotor plates one can
install behind one's wheels? Or we could cover a Tiger's headlights with
that opaque yellow film, then cut out small holes, rather like Zorro's mask,
to let just a little light out?
        And I never did understand the chain-link steering wheels, but it's
been a long time since I've owned a car with power steering. Maybe they're
not as dangerous as they look.

>And if it's exhaust tips you're after, check out:
> www.locashracing.com/rice_pix/big_tip1.jpg

"Robin! To the Bat-Civic!" I recently saw this car on beaterz.com; a
worthwhile site if you're in need of a giggle. And the yellow brake drums
were a nice touch.

Lawrence R. Wright
"I can't get no -- Satis-traction"