RE: Hooter's

To: "'Daniel S. Eiland'" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Hooter's
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:36:11 -0600
Hi Dan,

You're trying it the right way. Two possibilities: 1. The points are stuck
closed; 2. There's an open circuit. From the first, you'll typically get a
'click' out of the horn when you connect or disconnect the battery, but not
otherwise, and the horn will get warm (HOT).
If you have an ohm meter, measure the resistance between the two horn
connections; it should be around 4 or 5 ohms or less (I'm kind of guessing
here, based on the current they draw). If this is OK, and you get no sound,
then the points are stuck closed. If you get 'open circuit', then there's
something wrong with the way the points are put together or the voice coil
is toast, and you'll have to take it apart again to find out which.

I have a pair of hooters on my Tiger that worked until I put them in the
car, so I will be repeating all the work you do in the near future. Do keep
us informed of your progress!

Regards,
Theo