Re: EFI - still under construction

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Subject: Re: EFI - still under construction
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:20:16 -0400
Theo, verrrrrry nice work.  BTW, what software do you use for your
drawings?  I am going to put some of my drawings on the computer, and I
like your software results.  Neat like your work.

I used new 3/8" brake lines in steel with hard fittings, for the fuel
line, all the way from the new Carter elec. fuel pump in the wheel well
to the engine bay.  The line from the fuel pump was 60", a junction
fitting, and then another 60" under the car and up the fire wall.  I
only cut off about 5" off the second line.

I routed the line up the fire wall, and ran the line from the double
pumper to the fire wall and then a short rubber line to connect the 2
lines. There is enough clearance for the engine and the fuel line.
While this is a clean installation, I don't think you can do it with the
engine in the car as it is really tight in the firewall area.

Bending the line from the wheel well over the axle and around the rear
area was a real challenge, that took 3 lines till I made one that I
liked, that hugged the body close.  I used rubber fuel lines to isolate
the steel gas line, and the original body clamps to hold the line.

I also made a heat shield for the line where it comes over the header
and exhaust system of bent galvanized sheet metal.  I used the bolt
holes for the Alpine motor mounts, to mount the heat shield.  Very
little of the line is exposed to heat from the engine or exhaust, and
running it from the back of the engine, cleans up the engine bay a little.

Good news, from the Muffler shop.  My car is ready, with the new 2 1/4"
exhaust system, with Flow Master mufflers, and H-Pipe.

The shop dyno'ed the engine as well and went from 205 to 225 hp.  Engine
and cam is a stock 1990 5.0 L Mustang engine and T-5 trans.  It has
roller rockers with 1:7 ratio, double pumper, Edlebrock F4B manifold,
headers, and the new exhaust.
Shop, who does a lot of Mustangs, and race cars, said that this year
Mustang usually pulls 195 hp at the rear wheels, after dyno, with the EFI.

Must admit, I am eager to see the car, but it is raining today, and will
have to wait till Tuesday to trailer the car back from shop, 45 miles away.

The web site of Jeff's Muffler shop is www.insaneracing.com if you want
to look at his work. Their funny car is on the site as well, therefore
the name insane racing, with lots of big hp.

Funny thing, is that he said that its nice to dyno a simple car like the
Tiger, instead of the new computer cars.  How soon we forget the difference.

Larry