inquiry 041800a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 041800a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 06:31:57 -0500
Theo Smit wrote:
>What is a good gasket material to use between the
>fuel pump door and the rear shelf? Mine is in need
>of replacement or at least serious refurbishment
>(paint removal, etc), and if someone has a good
>solution I'd like to know. Rick's catalog doesn't show
>anything for this piece.

        Well, there's a part of the car I don't often think about; perhaps I
should. Right now, I have what is probably the original (cork??) gasket with
black paint over it, meaning no flexibility at all. A poor seal means excess
heat, noise, fumes etc.
        I don't know what the original material was or if it's available
somewhere; and I cannot think this is one of those "original parts are best"
situations; I'd think about something more modern. What comes to mind is
what they're offering in the hardware stores for state-of-the-art storm door
seals and such, it is labeled EDPM, and has a high coefficient of squishy.
OTOH, I mentioned this stuff a year or two back for another application, and
another lister pointed out that there was a better material for automotive
use; but I cannot remember what it was and you'd probably have to go to NASA
to get it. :^)

        Late last week I picked up copies of both the Sports Car
International with Dick Barker's car, and the European Car with Jeff
Cushing's Tiger. Both cars look nice in the photos, although European Car
seems to have a fixation throughout the mag for a large number of
two-square-inch pics where perhaps a smaller number of bigger photos would
show the cars better. Anyhoo, a couple of nice cars.
        The sidebar on p105 of European Car is either painfully truthful or
mildly condescending about the author's opinions on the limitations of the
Tiger's 1950's design when it comes to handling, etc. Plenty of room for
interpretation here. Perhaps Mr. Barnes needs a ride in a non-stock,
upgraded Tiger.

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333