inquiry 042700m

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 042700m
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:16:56 -0500
        Following up on the discussions on air cleaners, take a look at
this. I lifted it (shame!) off a Cobra website (names deleted to protect the
innocent):

>Hey Gang:
>3 weeks ago I literally grenaded my 460 crate motor while
> backing up the driveway. Tear-down revealed I ingested
>one of the air-cleaner studs---piston shatters--parts exit via
>hole in side of block and oil pan.

        A fluke? Well, read on:
>S____:
>It must be catching!! 2 weeks ago, I destroyed my 351 stroker
>starting it in the morning. Apparently the lock nut from
>said stud had come loose the previous day and was laying on
>the secondary butterfly. Primed the engine, hit the starter, and
>BOOM. #8 piston, head, cracked block. Hey guys - Check your
>air cleaner studs - or replace them with machine bolts from the top.

        Sheesh! I _think_ I Loc-Tited my air cleaner stud in (plus a
locknut) back when I installed the engine -- but I don't remember. Just one
more thing to worry about! My 302 "crate motor" has just enough cam in it to
shake a fair amount at idle.
        Larry Wright
        "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"