Re: Fitting Dash Tops

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fitting Dash Tops
From: CANISDOG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:44:47 EDT
Group,
I just finished fitting a new pad to my Series 5 so I have some observations.
First, I thought the instructions from SS were really well laid out and for
anyone that has never done one, following these instructions will save you from
wasting $125.00 dash pad.
The rumor of the dash being just slightly off on one side is true.  If you line
up the vent cuts and center just right, you have too much dash pad on the
passenger side by about 5/16.  I did not make any adjustments to compensate but
one could fudge a little room to the left and cut the defroster vent slightly
longer and probably center the dash.  I really don't think the average eye
would even notice this by the time you install the weather striping and furflex
piping.
That brings up another problem.  Furflex Piping.  By the time you are said and
done with the dash installation, there is not enough "pinch weld" left for the
Furflex to grab for about 3" or so that goes past the dash pad nearest where
the wing window butts up against the dash pad.
Now I didn't do it on this install, but when I do my Series 3 I plan on
"channeling" this area with an exacto knife so the Furflex can fit low and
"grab" the weld deeper.  One could also use a little 3M weather stripping
adhesive to help the situation.
The new Furflex piping doe not have the grabbing strength of the old world
stuff.
On another note:  The aluminum pieces that fit under the dash corners were
originally covered with a very "thin" vinyl.  I cleaned mine up and used the
old vinyl from the old Kick Panels.  I was replacing the old warped cardboard
ones anyway.  The vinyl covering these old nasty things is just the right
thickness to do the job.

Good luck...

Paul
Colorado