RE: alternator

To: "'Chris Vaught'" <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: alternator
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:40:40 -0600
Hi Chris,
13.2 volts is about the minimum that you should see when the engine is
running, just after starting the car. If the battery is dead or dying (like
with a shorted cell) then that will influence the voltage you see also.

Some alternators don't 'kick in' until the engine speed is increased to
about 2000 rpm; after that they start charging normally, and the voltage
increases to 14 volts or so.

In my opinion, 15 volts is a little high anyway. Gets to be hard on the
other electrical parts in the car. The heat developed in (most) electrical
parts is proportional to the square of the voltage across them, so a 10%
increase in operating voltage gives you 21% more heat, and a correspondingly
shorter life span.

So is the Navy going to ship your Tiger for you? I suppose it wouldn't take
up a lot of room on an aircraft carrier. Then again, do sub guys even talk
to surface guys (besides with torpedos :) )?

Regards,
Theo