Re: Gas Tank Pressure

To: Mark & Carla Meswarb <mmeswarb@itexas.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Pressure
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:57:25 -0400
Mark,
        Just checked ny Tiger cap.  When I suck on the
small hole in the center of the cap I can tell a valve in
the cap opens and would therefore allow air into the tank.
when I blow on it then with a lot of pressure the valve will
also open a bit for venting.  On my old Alpine the valve is stuck
open both ways.  Long ago when the Tiger was new, I filled up
the tank on a cool morning and the temp went up that day.
In the evening I had 2 gallons of gasoline in the crankcase
and a hydralic lock on one cylinder.  I drilled an extra
vent hole in the cap.  Now the gas would leak out with a full
tank on hard corners.

At 10:56 PM 5/25/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I was working around the trunk on the Tiger yesterday and noticed gas fumes.
>I tracked it down to the passenger side.  Everything looked secure, but when I
>popped open the gas cap, it released a lot of air pressure.  The car had not
>been driven for days, but the ambient temps here in Texas are on the rise.
>Almost 100 last three days.  Is the cap or tank supposed to be vented somehow?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others