Re: More brakes

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: More brakes
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:18:00 -0700
Larry, Jay, Steve, Dick, Jim, et Listers,

I'm happy to see so much interest in brakes. When I last logged on, I just
had time to poke a little fun at Jay's expense (I'm glad to see he got it)
It does show one of the great powers of the Internet that we can exchange
pages from manuals and all sorts of fun stuff that's even, at times,
enlightening if not entertaining.

Other than my hyperbole about chasing a Cobra, my post was just taken from
the two versions of the Rootes Manual, and on which I take no particular
sides being merely curious as to the facts. I have long since forgotten
just where and why I adopted the bleeding order I have used. It obviously
wasn't from the Rootes Manual, a fact of which, thanks to the List, I am
now well apprised. But, hyperbole aside, it's hard to imagine anything more
important that the optimal functioning of our Tiger's brakes, so the least
we can do is invest some small percentage of our efforts (and money)
relative to what we invest in our motors to getting them up to near optimal
performance. It's obvious that you guys feel the same way too, so no sense
preaching any further to the choir.

Regarding removing the brake fluid every year, I've never actually done
this myself, except as part of an overhaul, and, as I mentioned before, I'm
not sure how to get all the fluid out. I guess fully collapsing all the
slave cylinders, filling and collapsing again, repeat until satisfied is
the only procedure I can suggest. Unless, like your calipers Larry, there
are bleed screws top AND bottom (now I see the utility of this).

Like most everything, especially automotive things, you can always find
opposing expert opinions. I just did a search of the Web and came up with
several "expert" reports on this subject.

The first one says on single master cylinder cars, start nearest the master
cylinder and work progressively toward the farthest. On newer cars with
diagonal safety systems, the sequence should start with the wheel closest
to the master cylinder as before, however the next wheel in the sequence
will be diagonally aligned with that wheel. For example left-front,
right-rear, right-front, left-rear. The URL for this reference is:

         http://www.weekendmechanicsclub.com/Features/Feature-Mityvac.htm

The second in order on the search list shows a nifty product, but has no
obvious instructions as to order:

         http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo/catalog/brake_bleeder.htm

Third on list, another interesting set of tips, but nothing on order:

         http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-bleeding.html

Next on the list, some more on bleeding order (presumably for diagonal
braking systems) The order is (sitting in the drivers seat) right rear,
left front, left rear, right front.

         http://3si.org/bleedingbrakes.html

Next on list says start at the farthest and work toward the master
cylinder. "The easy way to remember the brake bleeding pattern is to start
from the cylinder furterest away and work back." Can we trust someone who
says 'furterest'??

         http://www.scruz.net/~barneym/toy_root/techneek/brakbled.htm

Well, there's only 8,289 more on the list, but I think you're getting the
picture. We have two basic schools of thought going here: those that start
at the beginning and work towards the end, and those that start at the end
and work towards the beginning. So who's right? Which way do you install
your toilet paper rolls? A recent survey says that 2/3 of those surveyed
install them with the loose end away from the wall and 1/3 put them with
the loose end next to the wall. NOBODY puts them on randomly; it's just
human nature to create order in our lives I guess. Maybe it's the same with
bleeding the brakes.