Rearend revisited

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rearend revisited
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 21:12:02 -0700
 Thanks to all who replied,
I slid the ring gear bearings over as far as I could, but there is still a
fair amount of backlash. Even when I force the pinion over towards the ring
gear the backlash seems quite a bit. If I go ahead and replace the bearings
I would appreciate it if anyone could answer the following questions:

1.  I understand that the shims "should" be the same if I replace the
bearings (can I really count on the bearing being the same size as
origionally installed), do I need to compensate for "wear" on the ring and
pinion?

2. It seems that pinion depth can be checked by placing a round rod across
the center of the two bearing receivers then measuring the distance from the
bottom of the rod to the pinion face and adding half the amount of the
carrier diameter to find the pinion depth (the manual shows the distance is
the pinion face to the centerline of the carrier bearing(s).

3. The carrier should come out without the "Chuchill" press or case
spreader. When I pushed the bearings over I was able to insert a .025 feeler
gauge between the bearing and the carrier. However, can anyone tell my how
much force is needed to remove the pinion from the rear bearing. And how
much force is needed to remove the carrier bearings. It seems if it takes
quite a force and the shims need furture adjustment this could be a real
problem.

Thanks to any who can inform me, remember I'm on a very limited budget and
if I do this at all I will have to do it myself.
Tom Witt