Free at Last - rearend revisited

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Free at Last - rearend revisited
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 21:18:20 -0700
Thank you to everyone for you input. My goal was to remove the axles to get
the diff. apart, but thanks anyway to all who advise about getting the hubs
off the axle as that is next. I revised my home made puller by sort of
following the picture in the manual. I went to the hardware store to find 3"
stand-offs that elevate the puller past the hub nut. No find. I then dug
into my bucket o' lug nuts that I never could figure out why I bought them
at a yard sale - until today. I found two of the longest nuts and with my
Skil saw and abrasive blade cut the capped end off. This effectively made
two stand-offs threaded onto the wheel bolts.. I then drilled two holes in a
piece of channel steel scrap that line up with the stand-offs. With bolts I
fastened this to the opened side of the cut off lug nuts. Digging further
through my junk I found a hub from an old lawn mower that the blade mounts
to. I then drilled holes in the channel steel and mounted the hub on center.
Lastly I drilled a hole through the side of the hub that the mower crank
goes through, drilled the hole through the pipe I used in puller #1 and
bolted the two together. As before I had the end of the pipe capped and a
pulley on the end for a target to hit. This was much easier on the bolts and
hubs as there was less slop . So Did it work? No! That was until in total
defeat I exchanged the 5 lb. hammer for a 10 lb. hammer. Then it was wack -
one, two, FREE!!! So why did I go through all this? Well the bottom line is
I don't think any "regular" store bought slide hammer could have generated
the force it took to get that axle/bearing out. Took pictures if you are
amused by the crazy thing some people do when the junk in their yard is
worth more than the cash in their wallet. Thanks again, Tom