Re: Temperatures

To: Hal436@aol.com
Subject: Re: Temperatures
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:29:44 EDT
I guess I'm one of the lucky few in that my Tiger
doesn't overheat easily.  Took a run Sunday up to the
Milwaukee British Car Meet and the car ran great.
It was hot and humid and a sign said it was 95.
Traffic was heavy and averaged 70 mph.  Ran 185 until
the traffic really bogged down (waiting at the infamous IL
toll booths) when it crept towards 195.  I'm running
the stock 260 that is tweaked a bit.  It has the F4B,
Holley 600, original LAT hood, original LAT steel
tube headers, big core radiator, and 6 blade steel fan.
Oil pressure was 65-70 (I'm using a high volume pump).
My headers are finally rusting so badly I'll have to replace
them.  I ran across a set of cast iron Tiger Tri Y's that
will go on in the winter after I have them coated.

My experience is if you don't modify the engine by
upping the compression ratio, keep the timing
around 6 BTDC, and keep the cooling system clean,
a Tiger will run just fine without overheating. Of course
if its 95 and you're stuck in miles of stop and go
driving, all bets are off.

Anyone know the Tiger owner who converted a cooler
into an air conditioner? He would fill the cooler with ice
and then had a 12 volt fan in the top that would suck air
across the ice and blow it into the car.  He said the
ice would last about 3 hours.  Think of it.  Air conditioning
with no compressor, freon, condensors, etc.  Sure the
air is a little humid.  But it's cold.  A bonus is you can
put your beverage cans in the ice.

Dave Johnson, B382002668, Aurora, IL